Thursday, January 04, 2007

Day 8: The Showdown

An hour down the road after driving away at speed from death we stopped for fuel.

My nerves were shot.

Me and Ivan had been getting more and more concerned by Nicks mental state and his driving was getting too impulsive. Just yesterday, coming down the Kolkotta Bridge he made a last second reaction swerve at speed and narrowly avoided a pedestrian.

We got out of the rickshaw and I made my mind up. I was out.

I spoke to Ivan and said that I no longer wanted to be part of Nick's ego trip. In the state he was in he was going to kill someone and I didn't want to be there when he did.

It was over.

"Are you ready" Nick said, gesturing at the rickshaw.

"Ready as I've ever been Nick" I said as I undid the bungee cord holding the bags in.

"What are you doin?"

"I'm going home. You're a danger to yourself and others Nick and I don't want to be here when someone comes through your windshield"

"What the fuck are you talking about?!"

"You know what I'm talking about Nick. Look at yourself. You're knackered mate and in no fit state to drive."

"But I'm the best driver we have! How do you expect to win without me!?!"

"I don't care if we win any more Nick. You have to be alive to win anyway"

"What the hell are you talking about? Yesterday you were the one who wanted to win more than anyone else!"

"That was yesterday Nick. Has it not sunk in that someone has died today?"

"So what?" he said, "300 people a day die on Indian Roads. What does another matter? We've got a race to win. Get in the Rickshaw"

This was too much. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I turned and walked away. As I walked across the petrol station forecourt Nick shouted after me

"So what's happened Andy? When did you lose your balls?"

Without even bothering to look back I said, "What happened to YOU Nick? When did you lose your mind?"

As I walked across the forecourt, as far as I was concerned I was not a member of the Dosa Boys. For me the race was over and I felt a great weight lift off my shoulders as I started to plan how I was gonna kill the next 2 weeks in Kolkotta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home